Thursday, March 1, 2012

Fish out of water


How do you feel about uncertainty? Is it exciting or scary?

It just depends on the situation as to how I react to uncertainty. Be it a scary movie, I like the idea of the uncertainty, but still fear the scary scenes.

If I know the outcome, as in a roller coaster ride, then it's exciting.

Typically for me, most everything uncertain is scary. It's some natural instinct that prevents me from being comfortable with change, which usually involves uncertainty.

I have numerous positive examples of situations that involved uncertainty.  I projected the outcome of the situation in the future based on fear, and then the end result was not scary at all.

Just as an example, I was headed to the local farmer's co-op one day for fish day. This is the day that a fish producer sells fish. Not the fish market and not fish for dinner. Fish for the livestock pond.

I had no idea how this event took place. I recognized that I was fearful of the whole experience, just thinking about buying large fish to put in our pond. Especially how I was going to get the fish home. I was told that they would put the fish in a bag. Now these were not gold fish I was buying, they were grass carp and about a foot long.

I was terrified to carry the fish home in my car in a bag. So I decided I could take an ice chest to put the fish in.

Turns out that it was not as scary as I had imagined. Truth is, it was not scary at all, well maybe a little. The fish in the bag scared me. I was afraid the bag might break, then I'd be stuck with a half dozen foot long fish out of water.  I don't like to handle wildlife!
http://www.blogher.com/nablopomo-soup-add-your-march-posts

No comments:

Post a Comment