Thursday, January 12, 2012

One of my earliest school memories involves my dad. When I was in the third grade, my dad took a new position as the principal of an elementary school in a nearby "big city". Being from a rural area, I was not too excited about leaving my small school and friends, not to mention having to leave my horse with my grandparents. .

I believe my father was recruited for this position to straighten a problem school out and turn things around. I was enrolled in the third grade, and entered a classroom where I knew no one. I was known for being pretty tough. After all, I had red hair and freckles. Anyone with red hair and freckles knows what I'm talking about.

During the first few days of school, all the students were assembled in the auditorium to meet the new principal, my father. He presented the new school policy with strong admonitions for fighting. Evidently, fighting was a big problem at this school.

 The punishment for fighting would be that everyone involved in a fight would suffer corporal punishment. I didn't know if the other students knew how serious he was by his tone, but I knew that he was not kidding!

The next recess break, I was approached by another red headed girl in my class, who obviously wanted to see how serious me and my father were. So, I was the first one in the Principal's office that day, after the whole school received the no fighting policy.



No comments:

Post a Comment